Monday, January 10, 2011

Watchudoin? M flyin kites, wanna join?

One of my favorite things to do in the month of January is to go on a kite flying spree whenever I can find the time to.
Today I found the perfect opportunity to do exactly that. I collected my newly bought firki (since I lost my old cherished one in the local train, sob..), a couple of kites tucked away under my arm, cellphone in my shorts, a blade and cello-tape in case any of my kites needed surgery. As I walked up to my building's terrace, I got a call from a friend, she asked me, "Watchudoin?"
I replied nonchalantly, "m flyin kites, wanna join?
Well she couldn't as she had exam preps so, I promised her that I would put up Facebook updates for her which she can check on her mobile (but can't comment cause her chuglikhor bro will let her parents know!).
here's the updates-
The little speck above the arrow in the adjoining image is my kite, the larger speck is a bird called the kite!


"goin kite flyng, checkng my new firki, miss my old one..."
Sunday at 4:56pm via Nokia ·

"‎6 kites down, while mine stil fluttrs proudly!
I gues d new firki is equaly lucky"
Sunday at 5:09pm ·


"6 kites down in les dan 10 mins, dats a recrd 4 me, bt i spoke 2 soon i gues, i jst rippd d conectng chord 2 ma kite"
Sunday at 5:13pm via Nokia · 



"gt a new1 its red & i jst mnagd 2 gt 2 mor down,dt tks ma scor 2, 8.. Also i gt a fingr cut.
Hop u r enjyng d live comentry my frnd...
Mis u holdng my firki & cursng dose damnd gujju guys most!"
Sunday at 5:29pm via Nokia ·


"bzy txtng,wsnt payin attention 2 my kite... Ouch! Anodr fingr cut & dose damnd gujju guys frm d nxt bldg hav sucsfuly cut my kite.. No hard feelngs. Vengeance shal b mine!"
Sunday at 5:36pm ·


After the last FB update, I received a call for confirmation of my exams. I am studying along with doing a job, more about that later.

Maybe it was that  I was too worried to enjoy my kite flying skills anymore, maybe the wind was just not good enough, or maybe it was those loud mouthed noisy guys from the next building, who were by now betting over whether I am a guy or a girl. I was just too pissed and picked up the remaining of my kites, firki and trudged back to my home.

So yeah, I like doing things that girls generally don't, that much I've established. So I can't hang out with them usually cause they get damned bored of me or equally pissed at not enjoying the stuff they do. Can't make many guy friends, as there aren't many around who would take easily to a girl dominating them in at least certain areas of life. That makes me pretty much of a loner, so for the past few years I've become the Obsessive Compulsive Outsider-says a friend.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Ooh! I have hardly flown kites in my life, save for a few occasions then and now. Even then, my role usually remained limited to holding the firki for another or fruitlessly attempting to launch the kite into the air. I guess I'm just not good at it, haha.

    Until grade 10, I used to mostly hang out only with boys. I was "One of the Guys". In grades 8, 9 and 10 I was lucky to find three guy friends who would make my Board years most enjoyable. Two of us were Fred and George Weasley (from the Harry Potter books) - I was George. The third we had nicknamed Pig and used to bully him in the friendliest, chummiest way possible. The fourth had a variety of nicknames and was my comrade in love for music. We used to bellow all sorts of songs during luck break and our classmates would have to resort to stuffing their ears shut. :P I even wrote a few songs and he and I would put them to melodies in our heads.

    Then I passed grade 10 and moved to a boarding school. I had to live in a girls' hostel (Horror!) It was a bit weird at first but then I started mingling and along the course of two years made a couple of wonderful friends.

    Is this long enough to turn into a blog post? :P (#TooMuchTimeOnMyHands)

    P.S. You should join twitter. It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Firebolt-Yeah, you could have a post about the fun times you've had being the Weasley brothers, that would be an interesting read.

    Hmm, so I like flying kites, it's fun, gives you a high and some of my gujju friends claim that the Surti diamond merchants were regular kite fliers for the singular purpose that it gave relief to their eyes after a long day at minutely squinting at the cutting and shaping of diamonds, interesting story.

    I love it cause it feels great, standing on the terrace, feeling the westerly winds blowing your hair, the sharp feeling of the manja in your hands, the slow tug of the kite as it travels with the wind, and most of all the passion when it comes to showing off the guys that you are better competition to them when it comes to cutting off their kites...
    It's simply amazing.

    AND BEST OF ALL- MAKAR SANKRANT is when I celebrate my birthday! The only festival in the hindu calendar that does not change date, so that Makar Sankranti and 14th Jan. coincide on the same day every year, except for the leap year ofcourse!
    which is the case this year!

    ReplyDelete