Sunday, January 16, 2011

Birthday celebrations

It's been sometime since last I posted, but I have to got to a lot to study! EXAMS, the dreaded word is fast approaching.
Anyways, mustn't let my spirits down though...

Red arrow = kite
Purple arrow = my hand.
My birthday comes on the 14th of Jan each year, and that's when I celebrate it too. According to the Hindu calender it falls on the tithi of MAKAR SANKRANTI, the only Hindu festival that never changes date. The festival is celebrated at my place with much ado, with the traditional Til-Gul laddoos shared and Haldi kum kum for ladies and is followed by cake cutting as all my extended family not very melodiously but with all their heart in it sing the customary "Happy Birthday to you..." and some of my younger cousins make additions like "to our cousin from the zoo"!!!

Generally I go to sleep on the 13th of Jan at around midnight after my enthusiastic friends have wished me and I wake up pretty late, as late as before the wishes start pouring over the telephone (I have a large circle of family and friends and well wishers) and after grabbing a quick bite, my Dad and me go kite flying. Oh yeah forgot to mention, with all sorts of delicious snacks and loads of Coke and Glucose to keep us going till around 4.30-5.00 pm

In between that time I enjoy flying kites, holding the firki for my Dad, cursing at the gujju guys from the next building terrace, taking calls from friends wishing me, and generally having a gay time. It is followed later by the family fun that I have afore mentioned.

The cake that my friends Smile & Chatter-box got for me
This year around, I was kind of in a solemn, thoughtful mood just right before my birthday and wanted to be left alone & that sorta thing.
Maybe it was due to the forthcoming exams or the conflict in my mind as was seen in my last few posts.
But Lady luck was smiling on me I guess, cause although the Makar Sankranti celebrations were on 15th followed by my birthday bash, my friends from office dropped in on the 14th armed with a cake. To be precise, my friend the afore mentioned Smile and let's call my other friend The Chatter-box from Bollywood (will tell more about her later) dropped by my place right after office.

I didn't know how to handle the situation. I sent my sis to get refreshments, but mom interrupted and made hot potato, onion and other spiced pakoras for my friends while they chatted up my sis and took every opportunity to pull my leg, and they found a jolly good partner in my lil sis ( who is also a chatter-box btw). So it was an out and out jolly, groovy time we had as Smile and The Chatter-box from Bollywood sang and wished me. I was in a kind of startled mood closing to shock all throughout that time. I am not exactly fond of surprises, spontaneous plans work better with me. But with two beautiful girls cheering me on and making an effort to make my day... what more can I say! I drove Smile back home, wanted to get out of my place alone for sometime majorly cause the entire surprise thingy was overwhelming! However, Dad insisted on joining us, so the drive was kind of subdued, but the fresh air got my spirits really up, I wanted to sing...

Next day, the usual Sankranti celebrations occurred as I have mentioned before they do every year. Dad had ordered a cake from TAJ !
In all these overwhelming things forgot to mention(how could I!) that 2 of my 3 close friends, mates from my school days they are, dropped by on 14th, I usually celebrate my birthday on the grand scale the way I like it when we can all get together out of our academic & career routines.

I am sure I have bored any reader to death, but this is one post I do not want to edit, it's as overflowing with thoughts as my mind is with all good things at present.

All in all I had a great time!

P.S. Tried searching for a Tegan & Sara tee, but didn't get one, I guess I should try harder, so I settled on a black turtle neck tee instead, Red & Black are like my soul colors!

2 comments:

  1. your cake looks yummy! ;) :P
    and it wasn't boring, this post of yours shows how lucky you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well yes, I guess I am & I am thankful for it too.
    But only time will tell how many of those, stand by me when I show my true self...

    ReplyDelete